Is RV Insurance Required for Me?

If you are looking for a fun mode of transportation and a way to see the country, buying an RV can be a great option.  When you do choose to buy an RV, you will also be making a very big purchase and investment.  Because of this, you will need to have insurance on the RV to ensure you are properly protected.  There are several different types of requirements that RV owners will need to have in place.

Minimum Liability

When you are looking to drive an RV, you will first need to comply with the state minimum liability requirements.  For those that are in the Bethlehem, PA area, the state of Pennsylvania has minimum liability requirements for all drivers of RVs. Their requirements are identical to the requirements set forth for all automobiles.  The state requires that you carry bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per incident.  You will also need to have coverage of at least $5,000 for property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.  

Additional Coverage Requirements

While the state only requires that you carry liability insurance coverage, it would also be a good idea to carry additional types of insurance coverage.  Some other options to consider include carrying collision and comprehensive insurance coverage.  These types of insurance will provide you with coverage in the event you are at fault in an accident or are in an accident with an uninsured motorist.  Comprehensive coverage will also provide you with coverage if your vehicle is stolen or damaged.  If you took out a loan to buy the RV, you will be required under the loan agreement to carry these types of coverage.

For those that are in the Bethlehem, PA area, reaching out to the Saucon Insurance Agency could be a good option. The Saucon Insurance Agency can help you get into an RV insurance policy that provides you with the coverage you need.  

Flood Insurance On A Rarely-Used Summer Home

Saucon Insurance Agency has helped many Bethlehem, PA get coverage for their summer homes. However, if you rarely spend time in your vacation house, you may leave it open to serious floods. As a result, it is important to know how your insurance may be affected by your lack of presence in this house.

Coverage Varies Based On Risk

Homes in a high-risk area for flooding (such as those near a lake) must have flood insurance to protect them. In these areas, you are likely to have to pay a little extra for your coverage. That said, the policy will typically be stronger and stay in effect longer than if you lived in a low-risk home. It is usually a good idea if your summer home has ever been flooded or if areas near it have suffered from excessive water.

Content Coverage Is Possible

The contents of your summer home can be protected by the use of a specific coverage type known as content coverage. This helps to protect these items in your summer home from being a total loss during a flood. Just as importantly, it can provide you with the finances you need to recover.

Vacancy Issues May Be At Play

Vacancy is an issue that plagues many people who own more than one home. Your primary home is typically considered vacant or unoccupied if you haven’t lived in it for 30-60 days, depending on your state. A summer home may fall under a similar heading, meaning that your insurance could be voided when a flood strikes it. However, some flood policies have a clause that protects against this danger.

Talk To Us About This Concern

If your Bethlehem, PA summer home is vacant for extended periods of time, you may want to contact us at Saucon Insurance Agency today. We can help you decide what kind of coverage you need for your summer home and prevent serious damage problems.