Flood Insurance FAQs

At Saucon Insurance Agency in Bethlehem, PA, we offer many types of coverage, including flood insurance. Many homeowners have questions about flood policies, so we are providing answers. 

What is Flood Insurance? 

Flood insurance is a policy that covers your home and its contents in the event of a flood. A flood occurs when two or more properties, or two or more acres, of land that are typically dry are covered by water. 

Does My Homeowner’s Policy Cover Floods? 

No, homeowner’s policies do not cover floods. This is why a flood policy is important. Homeowners’ policies cover other perils, including fires, wind damage, and vandalism. 

Am I Required to Have Flood Insurance? 

If you are in a high-risk flood zone and have a mortgage, your lender will likely require you to have flood insurance. 

Most lenders don’t require you to have flood insurance if you live in a low to moderate-risk area, but you may still need flood insurance. 

You can learn what area you are in by visiting the FEMA flood map and entering your address. 

Do I Need a Flood Policy if It’s Not Required? 

If you are in a low to moderate-risk area, going without flood insurance is tempting. However, 20% of flood damage occurs in low to moderate-risk areas. Flood insurance can protect you in this situation. 

Do I Have to go Through the NFIP? 

When you buy flood insurance, you’ll buy it through your insurance agent. You may choose a policy through the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) or a private insurer. 

Flood Insurance at Saucon Insurance Agency

If you need flood insurance in Bethlehem, PA, contact us at Saucon Insurance Agency. Our knowledgeable agents will answer any questions you have and help you choose the best policy for your needs. 

The Basics of Toy and Collectible Insurance

So-called toy insurance has emerged as one of the fastest-growing types of insurance. To be clear, you’re typically not going to take out insurance on a child’s generic hula hoop or other simple (and not especially valuable toys). Instead, when folks take out toy insurance, they often seek coverage for valuable collectibles. If you’d like to discuss toy insurance options in Bethlehem, PA, contact the Saucon Insurance Agency.

Why Collectible and Toy Insurance is Necessary

A general homeowner’s insurance policy will not cover collectibles or will set a low coverage amount. Remember, many insurance policies have liability limits. With especially valuable properties, like collectible cars, toys, gadgets, and more, it’s easy to exceed policy limits on general policies quickly.

Let’s say a homeowner takes out a homeowner’s insurance policy with a maximum liability limit of $500,000. Then the home, which itself is worth $400,000, burns down. This means there’s only $100,000 left to cover other damages, such as lost computers and other personal property (perhaps including collectibles).

To put things into perspective, a Barbie doll sold for over $300,000 back in 2010, while a GI Joe figurine once sold for $200,000. Many other toys have fetched tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Sports and trading cards, including Pokemon cards, also regularly sell for thousands of dollars or more.

To mitigate risks and ensure adequate coverage, taking out insurance on highly valuable collectibles is often necessary. Otherwise, you might have to foot the bill should collectibles be stolen or damaged. With toy insurance, you can ensure that specific items, such as collectible cards, expensive Lego sets, or antique collector’s toys, are more adequately covered.

Contact the Saucon Insurance Agency to learn more about toy insurance policies in Bethlehem, PA.