Flood Insurance FAQs

At Saucon Insurance Agency in Bethlehem, PA, we offer many types of coverage, including flood insurance. Many homeowners have questions about flood policies, so we are providing answers. 

What is Flood Insurance? 

Flood insurance is a policy that covers your home and its contents in the event of a flood. A flood occurs when two or more properties, or two or more acres, of land that are typically dry are covered by water. 

Does My Homeowner’s Policy Cover Floods? 

No, homeowner’s policies do not cover floods. This is why a flood policy is important. Homeowners’ policies cover other perils, including fires, wind damage, and vandalism. 

Am I Required to Have Flood Insurance? 

If you are in a high-risk flood zone and have a mortgage, your lender will likely require you to have flood insurance. 

Most lenders don’t require you to have flood insurance if you live in a low to moderate-risk area, but you may still need flood insurance. 

You can learn what area you are in by visiting the FEMA flood map and entering your address. 

Do I Need a Flood Policy if It’s Not Required? 

If you are in a low to moderate-risk area, going without flood insurance is tempting. However, 20% of flood damage occurs in low to moderate-risk areas. Flood insurance can protect you in this situation. 

Do I Have to go Through the NFIP? 

When you buy flood insurance, you’ll buy it through your insurance agent. You may choose a policy through the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) or a private insurer. 

Flood Insurance at Saucon Insurance Agency

If you need flood insurance in Bethlehem, PA, contact us at Saucon Insurance Agency. Our knowledgeable agents will answer any questions you have and help you choose the best policy for your needs.