How to Know if You Need Flood Insurance

Pennsylvania might not be the nation’s capital for massive floods, but that doesn’t spare homes in the state from the occasional disaster. Floods are something we’d all usually rather not think about, but in the end, you want to make sure your home is protected. That’s why Saucon Insurance Agency is trying to help you assess the flood risk for your home in Bethlehem, PA.

The Bank Tells You

There’s a nice minimum safety net when it comes to owning a home and dealing with floods. If you get a mortgage, a bank is going to require you to purchase flood insurance if your house is in an area of high enough risk. You simply won’t be able to buy the house without it. Even if you don’t have a mortgage, if a bank would require flood insurance before giving someone a loan to buy your house, you can trust that you need it.

That said, this is not entirely foolproof. First, it offers no insight on rentals. Flood damage in a rented property can be very tricky, so it’s best to follow through on your research. The second problem is that banks won’t always demand flood insurance even when there is a notable risk involved.

Lower-Risk Flood Zones

That brings us to lower-risk flood zones. Known by many names, these are areas or neighborhoods that are in flood zones but aren’t at the highest levels of risk. These are areas where banks might let you buy a house without the extra coverage, but flood insurance is probably still a good idea. The easiest way to find these zones is to look at FEMA’s network of maps. They’ll help you assess risk and determine if you need specialized insurance. You can find those maps at

Once you check the floodplains in your Bethlehem, PA, neighborhood, you’ll have a clear idea if you need to be talking about flood insurance. When you’re ready for that conversation, your Saucon Insurance Agency representative will be ready to help.


RV Insurance Requirements in Pennsylvania

So you’ve finally decided to buy an RV. Congratulations! Recreational Vehicles or motorhomes offer a comfortable way to camp, travel the country and/or just provide everything you need on wheels. But before you embark on any adventures near or far, it’s time to get that RV properly insured. Here’s what you need to know about RV insurance requirements in the state of Pennsylvania. 

The Basics

First things first: as with most other vehicles, the state of Pennsylvania requires drivers to ensure their RVs before they take them on the road. And if you are leasing or financing an RV, you most likely will be required to purchase insurance as per the terms of your contract. If you live in the Bethlehem, PA area, Saucon Insurance Agency can answer all of your specific questions regarding state insurance laws and contract-specific requirements. Now, in addition to having the proper insurance, it is also worth noting that in the rarer cases of an RV being over 26,001 pounds, the state also requires you to get a non-commercial class B license in order to drive it (and you will need to get this before you get approved for an insurance policy). 

Minimum Coverage Requirements

As a Pennsylvania resident, you must meet certain minimum coverage stipulations in order to legally drive your RV. This includes a minimum of $30,000 in coverage. Likewise, RV drivers must have specific coverage for medical expenses, property damage, and bodily injury. Whereas medical expense coverage must be in place for regardless of who is at fault, both property damage and bodily injury must– at the very least– cover others involved if you are determined to be at fault. 

Taking Things Further

Now, in addition to making sure you meet all of the minimum coverage requirements in Pennsylvania, you may want to get extra protection (for many people, this is a wise investment). For example, adding on uninsured/underinsured insurance to your policy can help you recover quickly from an accident involving a driver without insurance, as can collision (with stationary objects) and comprehensive add-ons. When you’re ready to take the next step, contact Saucon Insurance Agency. Serving the Bethlehem, PA area and beyond, we’re here to help you find the perfect policy to get your RV covered and fit your specific needs.